How to identify mould in your home

How to identify mould in your home

Mould is the last thing anybody wants to see in their home. For potential buyers, it can be the defining factor as to whether you choose a specific house or not. But, when you find it in the building you’ve spent years building into the place you love the most, it can be a worrying sign. So, what do you need to look for? And what signs indicate that its time to call in the professionals?

Bad odours

Mould has an unpleasant smell to it. You may notice it the minute you walk into a room. It may waft into your senses after a few minutes or hours spent in a space. However you notice it, don’t ignore an unpleasant smell – especially if you can’t find the source straight away. Mouldy smells are one of the first indicators that something is wrong, specifically if the mould is in a disguised/hidden space.

Black or green marks on the walls

Mould shows up quite clearly on many different wall surfaces. You may notice dark patches showing up in the corners of a room or in your window frames. Don’t ignore these marks. Many people write them off as dirt build up or soot. However, if they don’t wipe off easily or they continue to return, they could be a sign of something worse to come.

Water stains or discolouration

In some situations, you may notice marks on the walls that look like someone has thrown a cup of water down your wall. Or, that wallpaper you loved so much may have turned a different colour. These are both signs of water problems in the home. Falling under the same category, peeling, bubbling or cracked walls are normally hard to ignore. This normally means that moisture has got behind your walls – something that causes a build up of or structural damage over time.


This may be more of a pre-cursor to mould but keep an eye out for condensation. This normally takes form in water droplets on or around your windows. If you do notice condensation, it could be a sign that you have a high amount of moisture in your home. As we all know, moisture is the key cause of damp and needs to be maintained at a healthy level at all times. Too much of it indicates that you may have a humidity problem which can feed mould. In this instance, consider purchasing a humidifier or better controlling the flow of air in each room.

Health issues

In some cases, mould can have a detrimental impact on your health. Some people note symptoms such as headaches, dizziness or loss of concentration. These are all signs that toxic mould spores such as Mycotoxins may be growing somewhere in your home.

If you have any concerns about household mould. Contact the team at Cotswold Treatments today.